Friday, December 16, 2005

Kindred Spirit

While sitting at the desk it struck me all over again. I have become poor. I have eliminated all leisure and luxury from life, no movie, no fanciful outing along the crowded streets, nothing new for myself. I laughably tighten the strings around a vacuum. I avoid taking transport, I walk whenever possible. I don't purchase anything. I don't eat much, I plop in the maggi as often as possible, thankfully lunch is provided at work so I eat as much as possible, appearing like a pig in the process. I weave a small haven around myself but the warmth and security boils over into a heartwrenching heat as the layers increase, tears bubbling in the cauldron.
But does it bubble and boil to the last drop? No, for a sudden kindred spirit is fervently ignited as my student rolls in on his chair. Hot beads of perspiration trickle from his forehead, a tongue swiftly emerges to lick them away. He had just eaten, no delicacy for sure, but nothing short of a piping bowl of hot soup to heartily wash the inadequacies away. I am transfixed by a pair of determined eyes, as somewhere out there we are trudging down the road, patched-up trenchcoats against merciless storms, motivated by essence and not by wantonness, edified by the immediate moment and not by wistful visions of invisible mountains and valleys. We are blinded and cannot see far, but all the more intense and lucid everything appears before our tired eyes. For short, sweetened moments of pleasure our hearts may yearn, as our karmic debts bid us slowly unlearn.
Above all else, if the noose is to be tightened at dawn, let the final night shimmer with love and philosophy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dennis. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching cord blood registry cbrs. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Kindred Spirit is way off base from cord blood registry cbrs I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at cord blood registry cbrs. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dennis, I now feel I am bound to tell you about this (it has nothing to do with cord blood, I swear!). I awoke a few minutes ago after having a strangely realistic dream.

In my dream I was convinced there was a "ghost" in my room and I told him/it I would speak to him soon. I went to sleep and the "spirit" began singing directly into my ear. He voice was "jaunty" and he was accompanied by a simple stringed instrument. The song had an almost Irish jig to it.

Anyway, when I awoke the song and the dream began their usual process of shredding. Afraid I would lose it, I jotted down some of the images and the lyrics. One of the last lines of the lyric he sang was "Fear and security boils over/I've got an uncertain future, and so do you."

I, of course, I went directly to the internet to see if I had somehow embedded this lyric unconciously while drinking beer at the local Irish pub. What I tripped over instead was your blog. The tag at the top of you blog about dreams made me smile when I read it.

So I stayed for a minute and read what you had to say. As a lover of words and language (I'm an English teacher, after all!) I was drawn to your writing style. As a "child" constantly in search of meaning, I agreed (mostly) with your philosophical musings. And, as a teacher, I identified with the idea of koans to expand a student's perception(my kids at school think I'm nuts when I ask them these kinds of open-ended questions!).

Oh, well, now I'm tired and I'm ready to go back to bed to dream some more.

Kismet, indeed.

2:29 PM  
Blogger dennis said...

Hey john, nice to have made your acquaintance. Hope you're not too perturbed by your lucid little nightmare, sometimes dreams can be portals to the most profound messages from our subconscious. By all means, I wish you would visit my blog again! Cheers.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home