Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Cow

It's about time for another koan, to beef up my collection.

A cow passed through a window. Its head, its body and legs all passed through. Why did the tail not pass through?

I cannot resist asking, in the first place, what exactly constitutes a cow. Is a tail-less cow still a cow? Must it possess a head, four legs, a tail in perfect entirety, to satisfy the criteria of cowhood? And this is only at the level of its anatomy. Consider other constituents that could philosophically compose the cow - its soul, its linguistic label, the arbitrary string of phonemes that is linked to the concept of "cow", and the mental representation of our venerable beast in your mind. All of these components are likely to be sufficient, with none being necessary to sanction the cow's existence. When I introduce a cow, via language, into your conceptual frame by the fearsome utterance "there is a cow....", which of these is triggered foremost?
In the circumstances of such an existential flux, our marooned mooing machine cannot hope to saunter past the window unscathed. As the question so innocuously yet elegantly asserted, fragments of cowhood, exemplified by the missing tail, have been silently and dangerously filtered away by our restrictive, componentially-driven conceptual schemata. Lest we erupt into contrived mourning for the demised appendage, I am inclined to interpret the cow and window as a metaphor for our thoughts and our mind, respectively. Open up the window and do not scrutinize the cow from the inner vantage point, bolted shut from new perspectives. Reach your head out and embrace the cow, embrace the world, revel in the perfect imperfection of its complete cowhood. Partake in the coherent incoherence of our unfathomable mother nature. And I guarantee this is all she asks of you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dennis. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching cord blood spinal supply. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though The Cow is way off base from cord blood spinal supply I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at cord blood spinal supply. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about cord blood stem cell banks. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on cord blood stem cell banks and it brought me to your blog on The Cow. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog dennis and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home